Help Wanted / Seeking Employment
Help wanted for busy driving horse barn (farm horses and show horses). Cleaning stalls (about 12), harnessing, rinsing horses and various farm duties. Accommodations are available. Opportunities to drive based on experience. 30 days minimum position with a long term position negotiable. For more information, please contact Brian or Colleen Coleman 403-637-3700.
Under the direction of the Agriculture Programming Coordinator, this individual drives and cares for specified horses at Heritage Park and performs associated duties while ensuring safe transportation for guests.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Harnesses and drives assigned teams in accordance with prescribed standards, and is responsible for the care and proper handling of all assigned horses, including their cleaning, grooming, feeding and exercising; watches for sickness, disease or injury and assists with appropriate treatment as required
• Makes certain that horses are handled properly and that equipment is maintained in order to ensure guest safety
• May assist in farming operation, including plowing, seeding, harvesting and haying, and threshing
• Provides service and information to guests in a friendly and courteous manner
• High School diploma; some post-secondary education in animal husbandry would be an asset
• Previous experience in an agricultural area dealing with livestock, as well as knowledge of harnessing and driving teams
• Demonstrable skills as a teamster and in caring for horses; relevant skills in repairing related equipment are also preferred
• Tact and good verbal communication skills, as well as mature judgment and constant attention to safety concerns
Working Conditions and Hours of Work:
• Various hours of work; must be willing to work some weekends and holidays
• This position involves some amount of physical labour; as this is largely an outdoor position, exposure to a variety of weather conditions is certain
• Working with livestock also implies a degree of unpredictability
Forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or send it to Heritage Park Historical Village, 1900 Heritage Drive S.W. Calgary, Alberta T2V 2X3. Attn: Human Resources or by FAX at 403.268.8554. While only successful candidates will be contacted, we thank all applicants for their interest in Heritage Park.
For more information about the Park, visit www.HeritagePark.ca